Bart's preinstalled Environment (PE)
What is Bart's PE?
PE Builder is not a Microsoft product and does not create Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment ("Windows PE"). Using PE Builder does not grant you a license to Microsoft Windows PE or to use the Windows XP or Server 2003 binaries in a manner other than stated in the End-User License Agreement included in your version of Microsoft Windows XP or Windows Server 2003. Microsoft has not reviewed or tested PE Builder and does not endorse its use.Please do not contact Microsoft for support on the preinstallation environment that has been created by PE Builder!Microsoft does not provide support for PE Builder or for the preinstallation environment created by PE Builder.The PE Builder program (pebuilder.exe) runs on Windows 2000/XP/2003/BartPE. It does not run on Windows NT4/ME/9x.To avoid any confusion, the bootable CD generated by PE Builder should be called by its nickname "BartPE"!
Differences between BartPE and Windows PE
- Target - Microsoft sees Windows PE as an installation platform. Bart sees Windows PE as the next generation rescue platform.
- Start-menu - Bart's builder gives you a simple, dynamic and powerful start-menu (Nu2Menu, see screenshots). Microsoft's builder does not give you a start-menu, it uses a command prompt.
- Build from - Bart's builder can also build from Windows XP Home Edition or from a preinstalled Windows XP version (without CD).
- Plugins - With PE Builder you can easily add applications, drivers or tools using plugins. This makes PE Builder extremely powerful. The end user can even combine plugins from different software vendors into one CD image.
- Network support - PE Builder includes its own network support tools (bartpe/penetcfg) to start TCP/IP and Microsoft Client. The TCP/IP settings like: dynamic/static ip-address, subnet-mask, default gateway, dns-servers computer-name, workgroup can be changed on-the-fly. You can create pre-defined profiles, that you can select. Microsoft Windows PE only supports DHCP or fixed settings using winbom.ini.
Also there is a plugin (NwDskPe) created by Erwin Veermans that loads the Netware Client on BartPE (IP/IPX).
- Fileshare - BartPE can start File Sharing support so you can connect to the system through a share.
- VNC - Because of the File Sharing support you can also run UltraVNC.
- Dos support - Bart's builder has a plugin called "dospe".
- License - Microsoft Windows PE is only for Enterprise/OEM customers (see previous), BartPE is for everybody!
- 64-Bit - Bart's builder does not support Windows 64-bit editions.
The files from your Windows Installation CD-Rom.Supported Windows versions are:
Windows XP Home Edition (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
Windows XP Professional (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
PE Builder runs on Windows 2000/XP/2003/BartPE systems.
CD/DVD writer if you want to creat a bootable CD/DVD.
The Download is available Here
Another great project based on barts PE called the Ultimate Boot CD can be found Here